About Your Water District
King County Water District No. 20 was established by voters in November 1925. The District’s beginnings consisted of a pump house and a well in the vicinity of South 100th Street and 10th Avenue South. Early water mains were constructed by hand placing galvanized lines. The District first connected to City of Seattle water supply mains in the 1930’s. An elevated storage reservoir was constructed near 1st Avenue South and South 108th Street and was used until the late 1950s.
During the late 1970s, a consortium of water districts (King County Water District 20, 45, 85 and 125) built a six million gallon reservoir that is still in use today.
Most recently, King County Water District No. 45 merged with Water District No. 20 forming the District’s service area as it is today (below).
Michael D. Martin
Michael D. Martin:
Was born and raised in Des Moines, WA he attended a small private school in the Renton Highlands where he graduated at the age of 16. Michael then married 2 years later to his high-school sweetheart and started his first business as a General Contractor at 19, Michael ran the business for a few years before he merged the business with a friend and became the Foreman of the new company, where he ran work crews ranging from 5-18 employee’s. He then joined the District in 2011 as the meter reader and worked his way up through the ranks and was promoted to General Manager in June of 2018.
First Commissioners elected by vote of the people on November 14, 1925, were William C. Wilson; M.O. Simpson; and Alfred T. Osberg.
First Commissioners' meeting held November 21, 1925 at the offices of Shorett and Shorett, 1377-80 Dexter Horton Building, Seattle; Commissioners were administered the oath of office by Edward H. Taylor, Notary Public.
First Attorney: John B. Shorett
First Contracted Engineer: Miller Engineering Co.
First Assessed Valuation amount: $574,685.00
First Voucher amount: $1130.00, Attorney fees
First Service Installation Bid from Pacific Water Works and Supply - Complete: in dirt road, $18.00; paved road, $21.00
First Payment to McHugh and Coluccio for Distribution System, $9819.34
First Service installed: A.T. Osberg, 10028 16th So. $22.00, 10/30/1926
Original office located at 1822 S. 120th St